Saturday 5 March 2011

Inspirational Interviews - Susan from Darling Girl Cosmetics



Morning Lovelies! Today I have a super exciting Inspirational Interview for you - it's the gorgeous Susan from Darling Girl Cosmetics. As you may know, I utterly adore Susan's products and Susan herself is an absolute sweetie! Sadly, her shop is closed until April 1st as she's in the middle of a huuuge move, but I still recommend you make a trip over there and get your wishlist ready for her big re-open! 


Thank you so much for agreeing to let me interview you! Firstly, can you tell us a little bit more about yourself please?
Your welcome and thank you for asking me to take part in this. 

Let’s see, my life story in a nutshell.  I am an only child and an army brat, so we moved around quite a bit, but I spent most of my youth in PortlandOR which I miss dearly.  It is so pretty, green and there is just so much fun stuff to do there.  I have been married for twelve years and have two wonderful boys, 15 and 12 and we are currently living in South Texas and a little town called McAllen about 10 miles from the Mexico border, which has it’s pro’s and con’s but I do love the tropical climate.

How long have you been making makeup and what inspired you to start?
I have been making makeup for about a year and half now, at least seriously.  I have always played around and tweaked existing eye shadows or blushes that didn’t quite work for me and making lip glosses and such for years.  I love makeup 

What are the best and worst parts of running your own indie makeup company?
Oooh, let’s see the best part…I can work in my pj’s if I want to LOL all kidding aside the best part is I am finally realizing my dream.  I have wanted to do this for a very long time, but the situation or timing has never been right, but I finally decided to take the plunge last year and have been having the time of my life and have met, well virtually anyway the nicest women. 

This doesn’t really pertain to now, but in the beginning I really put in a lot of time to my blog and posting looks and swatches and sometimes I felt like I was talking to my self and wondering Is all this worth it? But it has all paid off in the end and I love my blog and being interactive with my customers.  It’s something I hope to never lose. 

Now the worst part would be trying to juggle work, family time and regular household obligations.  I pretty much work 24/7, like any mom I guess. 

You create incredibly beautiful complex colours in your eye shadows and lots of other gorgeous products - what inspires you as you're creating?
I get inspiration from many things from some of the very tropical foliage we have here in Texas to reminiscing about things we have done in the past.  Equinox, Fireside, Cozy Nights, Scarecrow and Cider were all made from looking at photo’s of past trips to the pumpkin patch when the kids were little.  I also get inspiration from looking at magazines and blogs. 

If you could choose only 5 products from your current collections to use for the rest of your life, what would they be?
Oh my, just 5….let’s see Crème Brulee & Butter Rum lip balm, I love my lip balms and wear them more than lip color. Impetuous Sweet Cheeks Blush because it gives me a pretty pink in from the cold look and also doubles as a lip color, Pretty Pampered primer powder for those quick no foundation days and Cider because it’s a lovely one color wash for me, oh and I need Tarnished, so I guess I have to get rid of Butter Rum, darn. 

Had you tried many other Indie Makeup Companies before you started making your own makeup? If so, where were you a frequent customer and did anything about them inspire you in making your own cosmetics?
I have been using indie makeup for years.  My first company that I purchased from was Everyday Minerals and then somehow I stumbled upon Silk Naturals and was a pretty loyal customer for years.  Oddly enough I only discovered all the other wonderful Indie companies after I started making my own, or I guess really when I started blogging. 

I don’t know that the makeup from these companies inspired me, but I know that some of the women that run these companies have.  Karen from Silk Naturals is just a nice genuine lady and I always knew that I would want to run my business as she does.  Openly and honestly and keeping involved with my customers and there wants and needs.

What does your average working day look like?
I would say I work 7 days a week, but weekends is generally research and development kind of stuff, so it’s fun and doesn’t seem like work.  An average day, let’s see, I start out around 8:00am by checking and answering emails, then I print and fill orders, when time allows I post looks on the blog or updates on what is going on in the world of Darling Girl.  I do all this until about 4:00 and then get all my packages to the post office and cook dinner. ;)  I usually end the day around 6:00 or 7:00 by checking/answering emails and perusing various blogs and responding to comments on my blog.  Although, I usually do this from the comfort of bed while watching a little boob tube.  One of the perks of the job. LOL

How do you enjoy doing in your free time when you're not making makeup?
Lot’s of family time.  We like to play board games, go the movies and really enjoy trips to the beach.  There is a nice aquarium there, so we usually pack the picnic basket and spend the day walking around the beach shops and seeing the marine life at the aquarium.  I can’t get enough of the sea otters. 

Which are your favourite products to make?
With out a doubt eye shadow!  There is just no limit to the colors you can make and I find the color theory fascinating.  I love making lip glosses too, but I tend to do that in spurts when I feel inspired.

And your least favourite?
Making the color correctors is pretty boring…no fun colors to play with, but necessary.  I have had a few requests to get into foundation, but honestly it I love playing with color and foundation is boring, although I imagine at some point way down the road I will get into them.

What can Darling Girl Cosmetic's customers look forward to in the next few months?
There will be a mini Valentines Day release, trio of eye colors and a lip-gloss.  I am also working on a new formula for my eye shadows that will be a melding of pearl/shimmer and matte for some work appropriate looks, as well as some more pigmented lip colors.  I really want to work on cleaning up and organizing the shop and working on some new labels that will include the ingredients on them and just making everything look as professional as I can. J

Ok time for some quick fire questions:

3 Favourite Items of Make up:
So hard because it changes every week, but right now I would say my brand new Urban Decay Naked palette.  It was definitely worth the money.  Let’s see I haven’t really been wearing much other makeup so, I am going to go with Darling Girl Boy Toy Kiss Me Tinted Lip Balm and Yes, Virginia! Soft focus blush.

3 Favourite Foods:
Authentic Mexican tacos
Cheesecake, well really any dessert
Fried rice

Kind of an odd trio of likes, but that’s me an oddball.

Desert Island Items:


Lip balm
Body lotion
Sunscreen

…and my family. LOL

 3 People who've inspired you:
My father.  He was a hard working single father, but he was always there for me, supported me and great shoulder to cry on when needed.

My husband.  N
ot only is he my best friend but he has really given me the confidence and encouragement to pursue my dreams.  Darling Girl might not be here if it weren’t for him.

One of my long time friends Paulette because she never let’s anything get her down.  She has had some rough times but through it all has still maintained her great attitude towards life and doesn’t let anything keep her down.

3 blogs you'd like to recommend:
Just Peachy- Jill is just the nicest sweetest lady in the world and she does some great product reviews and swatches.
Eyeconic Makeup- I love Heather for her honest reviews and she is a doll!
Swatch Storm-Cait does really awesome thorough reviews.  I always look forward to her reviews J
3 words of advice:
Be who you are and you will be great!
Follow your dreams.  Nothing is impossible.
Live, laugh and love with your family and friends as much as possible because you never know how long you will have them in your life. 


Thank you so much Susan for agreeing to be interviewed - I really do love your products and can't wait for you to re-open. In fact.... we kinda guessed that you'd all be desperate to try her lovely treats, so stay tuned tomorrow for something very exciting indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and thoughts are really appreciated :) Thank you for taking the time to chat xx