Thursday 6 January 2011

Tutorial - Fleecy Headband/ear warmer

Hello lovelies! Hope you've having a fantastic week so far. Today I'm going to teach you how to make a quick and easy fleecy headband you keep your ears warm this winter. I wear mine under my helmet when I'm cycling or under my hat when it's really really cold! I'm a novice sewer and this took me about 25 minutes from start to finish! Easy peasy :D

You're going to need:

  • A piece of fleecy fabric 4.5 inches wide and about 24 inches long (measure your head and then add a couple of inches)
  • A piece of patterned (or plain) cotton fabric of the same dimensions
  • Sewing bits (sewing machine, thread, pins, scissors, tape measure etc)
To start, lay out your fleecey fabric and cut the right size piece. I used an old blanket that we no longer use.

Next, cut out your cotton fabric. I was ultra lazy and pinned my fleece to my material and then cut around it. If you're less lazy than me, measure and mark it out properly (you'll end up with much straigheter lines than I did!)


If you haven't already, pin your fabric together with the right sides facing each other.


Tadaaaaa! Excellent, now we're ready to start sewing. Thread your machine and then sew down each of the long sides in turn (be sure to use a reverse stitch at the end to stop your stiching from coming undone mid-cycle) and then sew long one of the shorter sides. When you're sewing, you want to be about 1.5cm in from the edge

Next, sew half way along the remaining shorter sides but don't sew it up completely! 

We're going to turn it the right way out in a minute, but first you need to trim the seams down a little to make it less bulky when we turn it (If you're a better sewer than me, you can probably start off sewing a little closer to the edge and then skip this step!)


Now comes the exciting part - turn your headband the right way round by turning it in on itself using the hole that you left before!


You should be left with something that looks like this. If you're really good, I'd advise ironing it now but err... yeah I'm lazy! You'll need to sew up the hole using a slip stitch.







Now it's time to make this big long strip into a headband. I chose to doe this by zigzagging the two ends together - however you could also pop in a buttonhole and a nice button or maybe a wee bit of velcro. And Hey Presto - no more cold ears for you :D

Hope you've enjoyed it - let me know what you think! This is my first tutorial though so do be kind! Let me know if you make one yourself xx


1 comment:

  1. That's an excellent tutorial. Very easy to follow and nice cute result! :D

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and thoughts are really appreciated :) Thank you for taking the time to chat xx