Saturday 26 February 2011

Inspirational Interview - Beauty Mouth


Morning lovelies! I hope you're all having an awesome Saturday :) This morning's Inspirational Interview has me very excited as it's with the wonderful Caroline Hirons aka Beauty Mouth! Not only is Caroline an wonderful blogger, she's also an Industry Pro and her blog combines hilarious honesty with insider knowledge. Pop on over and follow her if you don't already!

Thank you so much for agreeing to be interviewed! Firstly, can you tell us a
little bit more about yourself please?
I’m a married mum of 4 who gets her kicks working in an industry I love.

How long have you been blogging and what was it that inspired you to start a
blog?
I’ve been blogging about beauty since last April – prior to that I had a
blog about things the kids would say/do but I recently took it down because
everyone is getting older and my teens don’t want everyone knowing their
business. Louise from Get Lippie told me to start the beauty blogging. It
was the last good advice she ever gave me. ;)

What are the best and worst parts of being a beauty blogger?
The best are the reactions I get from the people who are kind enough to read
it – and the worst are the reactions I get from people I work with in the
industry who assume that because I am a blogger I am not to be trusted. That
I will break embargos/leak stories etc – which I never have and never would.
I am taking steps to fix the bad name bloggers have in the industry though –
watch this space!

You've worked in the beauty industry pretty much your whole life (correct me
if I'm wrong) and you're training in over 60 brands - what is it that you
love about the beauty industry that keeps you in there?
I genuinely like people – working with them, helping them with their
businesses and helping them with their skin. It’s satisfying doing something
that you enjoy and that you know you are good at.

Can you share a little of what your day-to-day life as a Beauty Industry
Consultant looks like?
Every day is different – it could be opening new doors, building
relationships, planning next moves, appearing on QVC (scary!), working on
new product development or organising staffing and training. It’s never dull
that’s for sure!

Having been part of the Beauty Industry for so long, what hints and tips can
you give to any of my readers hoping to get their foot in the door?
Firstly do what you are passionate about – I’ve turned down more roles than
I’ve accepted over the years because I either didn’t rate the brand or was
not inspired by the company. Follow your passion not the money.

And secondly, get qualified. I knew people would take me more seriously in
the industry if I had the best qualifications so I took an evening course at
Steiner which was neither cheap or easy as I found out I was pregnant 2
months into the course. I took my exam when I was hugely pregnant and still
working full-time – I was on maternity leave when I got the phone call
saying I had passed with distinction. I was prouder of that than anything I
did at school.

Your lovely face has made a few QVC appearances recently - can you tell us a
little more about why you were there and the brand that you were selling?
One of my roles is as Brand Ambassador for all for eve. All for Eve is a
completely philanthropic brand that raises funds for gynaecological cancer
research. It’s a privilege to be a part of the team.

I love the fact that you are willing to speak out against things that you
think are wrong in the beauty industry - how does it feel when you see
things change because of that and has it ever got you into trouble?
Well nothing has changed because of my blog – the MAC/Rodarte situation was
something that happened because we all blogged together – blogging at its
best! I’ve never got into trouble through the blog – I’m a big girl – bring it!

What can readers of Beauty Mouth look forward to over the next couple of
months?
God – maybe two posts if I’m lucky. Kidding – more skincare focused reviews and facial/spa treatment reviews –may as well play to my strengths!

What inspires you to keep blogging?
I enjoy it. And the response seems to be that people enjoy reading it so
that’s enough!

Ok time for some quick fire questions:

3 Favourite Items of Make up:
Nars SIN blusher

Chantecaille foundations

Lip gloss

3 Favourite Foods:

Oh god.

Cheeseburger

Eggs – scrambled, poached, boiled…

Poached salmon salad

(how random)

3 Desert Island Items:

Ipod

Hawaiian Tropic oil

Chef

3 People who've inspired you:
My Mum and Grandmothers.  Phenomenal women all. I get my attitude from them
– no doubt.

My kids – they’re the reason I get up every day and do what I do on days
that I’d rather lie on the sofa and eat my weight in carbs.

I realise that’s 7. Sorry!

3 blogs you'd like to recommend:
Ooh.

Well Get Lippie if you are partial to a spot of lippie as am I.

London Makeup Girl because I trust anything she says implicitly.

And Cannelle et Vanille for the gorgeous recipes and photography.

3 words of advice:

Do. It. All.

Thanks Caroline for agreeing to be interviewed! Look forward to reading plenty more rants and reviews from you in the future! Keep up the excellent work :D

2 comments:

  1. Great interview! I haven't checked out Beauty Mouths blog before but I am now :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and thoughts are really appreciated :) Thank you for taking the time to chat xx