Tuesday 22 February 2011

Freaking Out a Little

Hello my lovelies!


I'm currently having a small moment of panicking and freaking out and just need to bleurgh it all out! Essentially, I've got myself into a bit of a pickle. 

As some of you will know, I'm currently in the middle of applying for a GTP (Graduate Teaching Programme) - I'm through to the 2nd stage out of a 3 stage interview/application process and I would really like to get all the way through! I love being in the classroom and teaching feels very natural :)

I've also just signed up to do the Great North Run for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.... it'll be my first ever Half Marathon and given that I almost died on my 10k last year, I'm slightly freaked out about running 13 miles!!! But still, awesome fun.

Then today I recieved an email from a very swanky salon in York asking me if I'd like to join them as a freelance makeup artist - I literally had a small fit of excitement. I'd sort of given up on the whole freelance MUA thing and now blam, it's being handed to me on a plate.

So why the freaking out? 

Well first of all, I'm a little worried that I won't actually see Peter - I increased my hours at work at the start of January, we're already fairly busy in the evenings and I'll be training for a run. The freelance work will be Saturdays and the odd Sunday and maybe Fridays in the school holidays as well. Obviously due to the nature of the work, there's no guarantee that I'll be working every weekend though.

There's also a part of me that's worried about my actual ability - I'd sort of imagined that my first few "gigs" would be TFP (time for prints), not real life actual work. What if I'm actually crap and the people who've said I'm good are delusional? What if I get a crazy bridezilla who hates me?

The final thing that worries me is my kit.... specifically the foundation side of things. I don't quite feel it's up to scratch for the kit of an actual paid MUA, but equally I don't have enough money to buy any more things for my kit itself hence arrgggh freak out!

I'm sure I'll have a little more clarity after I've had a proper meeting with the salon manager tomorrow :)

6 comments:

  1. Wow you will be a busy bee! I say go for it, or you may always end up looking back and saying what if? Like you said It is not guaranteed every single weekend. Also if you give it a go and feel it is too much then you will have given it a shot. I personally would go for it as I know I would regret it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that whatever way you decide to go, your meeting with the boss of the salon tomorrow leaves you in no doubt of the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if you're able to do it, do it! I wouldn't overload yourself so maybe tell them that you can do one day a week or maybe every two weeks just to make sure you don't go crazy! I would also try and set a day where you and Peter have time for just the two of you, that will also help with the stress feeling. Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU CAN DO IT girlie!! And YAY for signing up for the half!! That's SUCH great news, and such a worthy charity!! GO YOU! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This all sounds so exciting! Everything will definitely fit into place - it always does! ENJOY it, thats the main thing! Which salon is it on York? xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for your advice - I've decided to go for it! xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and thoughts are really appreciated :) Thank you for taking the time to chat xx